This was my Thanksgiving beer for this year. It came out quite well. It is heavy and sweet. It makes an excellent beer float with chocolate ice cream.
- 8 lbs Rahr Pale Malt
- 1 lb Black Malt
- 1 lb Flaked Oats
- 1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 80
- 1 lb Chocolate Malt
- .25 lb English Extra Dark Crystal 150
- .25 lb Weyermann Carafa III
- 3 oz Fuggles
- 1lb Lactose
- 8 oz BP2 Powdered Peanut Butter
- 4 oz Cacao Nibs
- Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099)
- 10q of water at 145 – stabilize @ 133 for 30min.
- Add 5q of boiling water – stabilize @ 155 for 45min.
- Raise to 158 for 15min.
- Raise to 167 and add mash to lauter-tun.
- Sparge with 3.5g at 170.
- 1 oz Fuggles + Lactose + 4oz Peanut Butter 60min
- 1 oz Fuggles 30min
- 1 oz Fuggles 15min
- 4 oz BP2 Powdered Peanut Butter 0min
- Cool beer to 75 and add yeast.
- 8 oz Vodka + 4 oz Cacao Nibs into sanitized container.
- Shake frequently for 4 days.
- Strain the nibs out of the dark extract. Discard
- Place the extract in the freezer overnight.
- In the morning, carefully scrape out the fat cap of cocoa butter and discard.
- Filter the extract.
- Add to Secondary.